Thursday, May 27, 2010

Endings and beginnings

Wow. What a week and weekend this past one was. I made it through finals week, a feat I wasn't sure I was going to accomplish. And then finally, on Saturday, I graduated.

What a feeling it was, putting on that black gown and hat, with the tassel swinging in my face, and walking out across the great lawn as I'd seen my classmates do every year before. It was so weird. Even as I was sitting in my seat, 3 rows from the stage, I felt like I was supposed to be out in the crowd watching the class of 2010 graduate. It was just surreal. I walked across the stage without tripping, thank goodness, shook Dr. Dockery's hand (and wondered if he remembered me from our little meeting last semester lol), and walked off the stage. It went quite swimmingly, minus my tassel getting stuck in my face when I tried to switch it over to the left side. Eh, minor glitch.

And now, here we are, at the end of a long 4 year road. I always knew this day would come, but I was never really expecting it anytime soon. It always seemed far off, like just out of reach when I wanted school to be over the most, yet always looming in the distance. Here it's come and gone, and I'm standing here feeling like the last 4 years have just passed me by. You know on movies they'll show the main character walking in slow motion, and everyone around them is moving so fast it's like a blur? That's what I feel like. Just completely in slow motion, dazed and confused, in disbelief at how fast everything is happening, as it all blurs around me.

I won't even pretend to lie, these past 4 years have been the time of my life. If I tried to record all the fun things that I did, all the friends that I made, and all the experiences that made me grow, I'd be writing for days, years even. It was a BLAST. I'm smiling even now as I think about some of the times I spent with my best friends, and all the trouble that we seemed to be getting ourselves into. I wouldn't trade those times for the world.

I was home for the weekend to just be with family and attempt to catch up on some rest (that never happens, btw). I had to work yesterday, so I began to load up the essential items for my temporary living quarters (thanks Korie!) until I moved into my new apartment. I had mixed feelings as I pulled away from my house yesterday and headed back to Jackson. It crossed my mind that putting all my stuff in the car would probably be the last time I'd ever do it. I don't think I'll ever be back at home to live again. It made me so sad, but at the same time, I'm so excited to move into my apartment here in Jackson. There are so many good times ahead, it's just hard to move into a completely different environment, a completely different lifestyle. Sure, there will still be school in the fall (getting my EMT license), and I'll still be around Union to see the girls' soccer games, but it won't be the same. I'll be working full time and paying bills and all that good stuff. When did this happen?

I was going to be Peter Pan. I swore I wasn't going to let this happen, and even my mom told me I fought it tooth and nail, but here it is. It's happening. I'm growing up, because I have to...and there's nothing I can do about it.

So here's to all the good times in the past, and to all the good times still to come. Here we go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home