Tuesday, May 04, 2010

It's All About Love

I've been thinking a lot about love lately. Nope, can't say that I'm in love with anybody right now, but I've been thinking a lot just about the subject itself.

Nothing intrigues me more than love. It's such an incredible emotion. I can't think of any other emotion that makes you crazy, that makes you do things you never imagined you would or imagined you could. Love can make you want to change. Love can make you be the best you can be. Love can drive you insane. But what is it? How can you even begin to describe it?

I love my family. I love my friends. But love itself is so hard to define. The feelings I have for my family are different from the feelings I have for my friends, and those emotions are different from the ones I felt when I was actually in love with one individual. And I truly hate the phrase "I love you" because it can never, ever fit all the feeling into one phrase. I hate that it can't acurately describe what I'm feeling...it doesn't do the deep, sincere emotion that I feel justice. So how would you describe it?

For homework last week, my counseling book asked me what my definition of love was. I thought for a long time before I could come up with a good one. And it looked something like this...

Love is patient. Love is kind. Love doesn't envy, love doesn't boast, and love isn't proud. Love is not rude, love is not self-seeking, love is not easily angered, and love keeps no record of wrongs. Love doesn't delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. Love always protects, love always trusts, love always hopes, love always perseveres. Love never fails.


That's what love is to me. I've always heard that you should be able to insert your name in there as well. For example, "Rachel is patient, Rachel is kind, she doesn't envy, she doesn't boast, she isn't proud" and so on. When you can put your own name in there, that's when I feel like you are truly loving people. To me, that's what love is. Not saying I've got it all together yet, but I sure try.

And for all of those that are so dear to my heart...though you won't fully know just how much meaning is behind it...I love you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home